November 29th, 2008
As we enter into the Advent season, I want to provide something to contemplate. As I posted previously, the Atlanta Emergent Cohort recently hosted an event called tnevdA, a reversal of the traditional 25 day countdown to Christmas.
The event was a beautiful evening of worship and thought.
- Angst-giving : Jesus Manifesto
- Great post that calls us to practice Angst-giving and reject the myths that Empire gives us. "And so, this Thanksgiving, I encourage you to practice Angst-giving. Not as an expression of ungratitude. Rather, give thanks to God for those things that are blessings. And repent and lament those things that flow from injustice."
November 22nd, 2008
To continue my series, I want to briefly look at Christian culture as it typically exists.
- Organization designed to help people change the world in simple ways. This includes t-shirts focusing on problems of the world, and ways to dig deeper into the issues. Simple ways to change.
- My Non-Negotiables for the Obama Administration – BlakeHuggins.com
- A good set of non-negotiables for the Obama Administration. I can really resonate with Blake's attitude, as well as with his list. As an aside, I would love to see Bush and Cheney tried for crimes against humanity, but I don't believe it will happen, so I wouldn't put it on my list.
- Globalization and Consumerism
- Interesting thoughts on the anti-globalization and "ultra-pro-free-market capitalism" extremes. Julie really indicates that it isn't as simple as many of us who care about the poor and suffering sometimes make it. We act as though not buying things from China will help solve the problems that we have helped cause, and it doesn't work that way.
November 20th, 2008
For those in the Atlanta area who are interested in such things, there is a lot of great stuff happening in the next week or so.
November 18th, 2008
Currently, there is an ambitious attempt to use social media to meet a need. I really like finding out about these things, especially when I can help a little bit.
- HOMILETICS INTERVIEW: Stanley Hauerwas – Bonhoeffer: The Truthful Witness
- Great interview with Stanley Hauerwas on a variety of topics, mainly related to his book on Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
- PBS documentary that investigates the torturous practices of the United States in recent years. It's difficult to say more about this. Although I should say that you can watch it online at this URL.
- Purple State of Mind
- "After a remarkable voter turnout, an unprecedented, multicultural moment has arrived. The election of Barack Obama as president proves that "Change has come." So how shall we respond?"
November 5th, 2008
Major congratulations to Barack Obama, to the United States, and to the world. We have seen an historic moment and a significant one.
I feel like there is an incredible potential for good change.